APPLICATIONS for the 2015 SRP will open in November.
Look for our listing on YAPtracker and in Classical Singer magazine.
Application fee is $35.00
A note to "2014 Standard Repertoire Project" auditionees:
We look forward to meeting you (or in many cases seeing you again) and hearing what you have to offer. Every year, hearing up to 250 auditions in New York City, we're always happy to hear someone new and exciting, or to hear how much progress someone has made in the last year. We want you to be great, because that makes our jobs that much easier! We hope that you will also consider your audition for dell'Arte Opera Ensemble an opportunity to practice the craft of auditioning.
Please take a moment to read below what to expect at your dell'Arte Opera Ensemble Audition.
You MUST submit an Online Application to receive an audition appointment. _
We are proud to announce the creation of the OSGOOD/DELL'ARTE OPERA ENSEMBLE PRIZE, to be awarded in 2 Categories at the conclusion of the Standard Repertoire Project in August, 2014. Category 1 is an Audition Prize, and Category 2 is a Participation Prize. Between 1 and 3 singers in each Category's recipients will receive between $500 and $2500. All participants will be automatically considered for prizes in both categories - no special application is required.
- If a scheduling conflict develops with your audition time after it is assigned, we will do our best to accommodate a request for a change. ALL communication should be via email sent to email@example.com; please avoid calling our offices if at all possible.
- Please plan to arrive and sign in at least 15 minutes prior to your audition time. We do our best to run on-time, but ask for your patience if we do fall a little behind. We do not guarantee to hear auditionees who arrive late to their appointment, but will make efforts to hear singers early if a slot opens up.
- We provide a pianist for all regularly scheduled auditions at no additional cost, and prefer that you use them instead of bringing your own accompanist. Pianists are not provided for auditions outside of the regularly scheduled dates.
- As a part of the audition process, you may be asked to speak the text of any of your arias as a monologue either in the original language or in your English translation.
- Dress for auditions is not formal (ladies, please no gowns). Dress as you would for any professional audition.
- Listening to auditions will be Christopher Fecteau, Artistic Director of dell'Arte Opera Ensemble, who is responsible for all casting choices. Staff already hired for the program may also be in attendance, but any other adjudicators will be announced on the day of your audition. Directors from other opera companies do sometimes "sit in." Feel free to ask the monitor if there are any guests in the audition room.
- Warm up rooms are not provided. Please contact Studio 353 if you wish to book one for yourself. (Jean Blevins, Mgr.; Olga Blevins 212 757 2539 Studios353@aol.com)
- The 2014 SRP produtions have yet to be selected, though the season will be Shakespeare-themed. Possibilities include: The Fairy Queen (Purcell), Falstaff (Salieri), Macbeth (Verdi), I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Bellini), Romeo et Juliette (Gounod). Exact repertoire selections will not be announced until after the conclusion of auditions.
- You do not need to bring the same repertoire you listed on your application, nor are you required to provide us with a repertoire sheet.
- Your arias should represent you at your best. This year, our repertoire choices are entirely dependent on the singers we hear, so your choice of aria can certainly help us help you!
- Please bring at least one selection in Italian and at least one other selection in another language. Art songs are acceptable options for applicants auditioning for ensemble (chorus).
- In general, we allow you to pick your first selection. In rare instances, Maestro Fecteau might ask for a different choice. Unless the piece is very long, you will be allowed to complete your first selection and you may be invited to sing another aria or part of an aria. Please choose a first selection that reflects the center of your vocal category, not a 'stretch' piece. For instance, do not offer either of the Queen of the Night arias unless you are a dramatic coloratura.
- Out-of-town applicants who are being seriously considered for a principal role may be given the opportunity to sing additional material.
- Depending on the initial auditions, we may or may not hold callbacks. If we need to hear you a second time, you will be notified no later than February 5, 2014. Some artists being considered for a principal role may be invited for a 'mini-coaching' at Maestro Fecteau's studio.
what we're looking for
- Solid, reliable vocal technique
- Accurate, expressive diction
- Ability to convey the musical and textual structure and syntax of a piece
- Informed, intelligent, clear dramatic choices (specificity of intent, gesture, focus, physicality)
- A balanced approach to all of the above!
REMEMBER: What is unique about you informs the work; we want to find great people to cast! We invite you to focus on the craft of your singing and acting.
Questions: If you have read all of the materials on this site and still have questions, please direct them to "firstname.lastname@example.org"